Creating Pages in WordPress
- Navigate and login to the admin dashboard.
- Click on Pages > Add New.
You will be presented with a special area where you can create a page and add all the details to it. You can add title, text, media, links etc. You can also schedule it, save it as a draft or publish it immediately.
In Add New Page you will find the following options:
- Title: The title of the page is given in the input box that says Enter title here.
- Add Media: The add media button is used to upload media files, use previously uploaded ones or link to those hosted in external links.
- Compose Area: The compose box is the giant rectangle where you can type all the main contents of the page. You can format it using the visual editor present right above the box. You can also switch from Visual to Text if you know HTML and want to change the code manually.
- Permalink: As you begin to type the content of the page along with the title, it will generate an automatic permalink based on the title. You can change it by clicking the edit button.
- Featured Image: A page can have a featured image but it is up to the theme to implement how it is displayed or used.
- Publish: You will find a publish meta box where you can save the page as a draft, publish it immediately or schedule/backdate it in the future/past. You can also change the visibility from public to password protected or private.
Pressing the screen options link on the top will bring up additional options that can be activated and placed on the same page.
Here are the additional options:
- Discussions: If you are looking to allow comments, trackbacks and pingbacks.
- Slug: The permalink feature gets a dedicated option.
- Author: Assigned a previously registered user other than the currently logged in one.
- Page Attributes: Set a parent page or choose a page template if those are available. You can also change the order.
Editing Pages in WordPress
- Open up the admin area.
- Go to Pages > All Pages.
- Hover over the row of where your page is listed and click on the Edit
You will be redirected to a special page where you can edit all the previously entered aspects of the page. You can change the title, content, media, attributes, published date and everything else. Hit the Update button after you are done.
In Pages > All Pages, you can select multiple pages and choose the Edit option from the Bulk Actions to perform a quick edit on all those pages. You can also access the same option individually by clicking on the Quick Edit link that comes up after you hover over the list. This quick edit feature allows you to change the title, slug, date, parent page, order and template. You can also password protect it, allow or disallow comments or change the status (Published, Pending Review, Draft).
To delete a page hover over it and click on the Trash link or select it and choose the Move to Trash option from the Bulk Actions. It will be moved to the trash folder from where you can remove it permanently.