Twenty Fifteen is a beautiful and the default WordPress theme that comes pre-installed with it. This beautiful and simple theme has two columns—the sidebar and the main content. The sidebar is static and stays in the same place i.e. doesn’t scroll. The content is the only part of the user interface that is scrollable.
Twenty Fifteen has many features that everyone may not be aware of. One of those elegant features is the ability to add social networking links by creating it in the menu. It displays the icons that takes you to your profiles and pages. They are displayed right below the site name/logo and tagline. Just create a new menu with links to social profiles or pages that are supported. Choose it as the social links menu from the options and you will see social media profiles with crisp icons on the user interface. It supports a long list of icons including the popular ones like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, YouTube, Tumblr and Pinterest.
The only thing that you have to do is create an additional menu and set it up. In it, add links to social profiles.
Here are the detailed steps:
- In WordPress dashboard go to Appearance > Menus.
- Create a new menu by clicking on the link.
- Give the new menu a name. It can be anything.
- Add to the menu by using the custom links adding feature present on the left side. Simply add links like https://www.facebook.com/wpcraze. The link text can be anything. Add as many supported social networks as you want.
- At the end, there will be an option to make this menu the Social Links Menu. Tick the checkbox.
- Hit Save Menu button at the end.
From now on, your added links will be displayed in this way.
It is displayed slightly differently in mobile view, but it supports any screen size.
For reference, here is the list of supported social networks:
- Email (mailto: links)
- RSS Feed (URLs with /feed/